Board Mission and Responsibilities
The New Jersey Board of Tree Experts is currently comprised of nine members, whose duties include:
- Review the qualifications of an applicant for licensure under the act.
- Establish standards for examinations for licensure.
- Issue and renew licenses and assess fees, therefore;
- establish standards by regulation, which shall include, but not be limited to, the appropriate standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and any related standards and best management practices.
- Suspend or revoke licenses or registrations for violations of the act.
- Maintain a registry of licensees.
- Adopt a canon of professional ethics.
- Adopt such regulations as may be necessary to effectuate the purposes of the act.
- Establish fees by regulation for examinations, applications for licensure, and license renewals. The fees shall be sufficient to defray expenses incurred by the board in the performance of its duties under the act.
- Conduct such work site inspections as may be necessary to enforce the provisions of this act; and
- maintain a registry of businesses engaged in tree care services, and charge a fee therefore.
The Board may take disciplinary action against individuals or companies that violate P.L. 2009 C.45:15C-11 et seq. including suspension or revocation of the licensing and Business Registration.
Due to the passing of the Tree Expert and Tree Care Operators Licensing Act, the following Board members have been appointed to the New Jersey Board of Tree Experts by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate:
- Stephen M. Chisholm, Aspen Tree Experts
- Kevin Downes, Downes Tree Service
- Barry Emens, Public Representative
- Mark Goggin, Goggin and Associates
- Joseph Greipp, Meadow Lakes Arboretum
- Gary Lovallo, Chestnut Arboricultural and Forestry Services
- Richard S. Wolowicz, RichView Consulting
- Pamela Zipse, Rutgers University Urban Forestry Program and
- DEP Commissioner as ex officio
In Memoriam: David L. Johnson, Asplundh Tree Expert Co/NJ Forest Service – Dave served the Board of Tree Experts for over 17 years as its Secretary/Treasurer. The Board lost Dave last February 2016. Dave was one of the driving forces to advance the Tree Expert and Tree Care Operators Licensing Law. He will be missed and we remember him now as we celebrate the full implementation of the Law with the adoption of the Rules on April 17, 2017.
The following individual oversees the Board's activities on a day to day basis. Concerns or questions can be communicated through contact information below.
Program Manager: Michael D'Errico
NJ Board of Tree Experts
101 West Veterans Highway
Jackson, NJ 08527
Patty Aufiero, Administrative Assistant
Arlene Dietz, Administrative Assistant
Erin Lyons, Administrative Assistant
Zamayra Rivera, Administrative Assistant (Spanish Translator)
Select a tab to obtain copies of the Board meeting minutes for that year:
September 2014 Closed Session
August 2014 Closed Session
February weather cancellation
January no meeting